OpenSearch Mixin 1.0.0-rc.1 released!

Hi everyone,

We are pleased to announce the new release of OpenSearch Mixin 1.0.0-rc.1.

A “Mixin” is a naming convention originating in Kubernetes world and usually refers to a bundle of Grafana dashboard(s) and Prometheus Alerts. OpenSearch Mixin is no exception and brings OpenSearch metrics dashboard for Grafana and Prometheus Alerts, all built on top of OpenSearch metrics exposed by Prometheus exporter plugin for OpenSearch.

The source code is located in the Prometheus exporter plugin repository but lives in its own independent branch called mixin. The mixin will not share the same release cycle as the plugin.

Please visit the mixin repository and read the README.md file for more information:
https://github.com/aiven/prometheus-exporter-plugin-for-opensearch/tree/mixin

This is a first release candidate and contains new features and some known issues, please visit
Mixin 1.0.0-rc1 Release Notes for more details.

Feedback is welcome.

For issues and new feature requests please use the Issues section (and use “mixin” label).

Regards,
Lukáš

3 Likes

thanks @lukas-vlcek!

Hello,
It’s working fine but I have one issue. When I am using admin account for scraping metrics from Opensearch, everything is okay. I want to create prometheus-user and prometheus-role to scrape metrics, but I cant fix error

{“error”:{“root_cause”:[{“type”:“security_exception”,“reason”:“no permissions for [cluster:monitor/prometheus/metrics] and User [name=prometheus-user, backend_roles=, requestedTenant=null]”}],“type”:“security_exception”,“reason”:“no permissions for [cluster:monitor/prometheus/metrics] and User [name=prometheus-user, backend_roles=, requestedTenant=null]”},“status”:403}

because there is no permission cluster:monitor/prometheus/metrics in Opensearch 1.3 which I am using.

Hi,

the permission should be introduced by the Prometheus exporter plugin, see this line.

Would you mind sharing the config for the prometheus-user and prometheus-role?

Reagrds,
Lukáš

Well, that works.
When I tried to do the same with configs (internal_users.yml, roles_mapping.yml and roles.yml), everything works.
I’ ve been trying it first in opensearch-dashboards and in edit role but there is an issue.

But well, for me, if it works in configs, there is no problem for me. Thanks :blush:

1 Like

Well, that sounds like an issues with the Dashboards. Do you plan to ping the Dashboard forum/team?

Lukáš

I opened topic
https://forum.opensearch.org/t/new-permissions-arent-offered-in-opensearch-dashboards/11735