Every time I restart Kibana, my indexes patterns are then not found, saved objects on error too. I have to delete the custom tenant from API and create my indexes patterns and import saved objects again.
I’m really lost.
Here the errors :
Really similar to this issue : https://github.com/floragunncom/search-guard-kibana-plugin/issues/166
Hello guys, seems like I fix my issues all the time haha.
Found out that for every users you need to use the role_mapping with kibana_user, add them to this role.
This allows your accounts to have access to .kibana aliases + fix the issues with data/read/field_caps.
I had a similar issue after restarting my cluster with a single user on a single tenant - I forgot to assign the the
After assigning them the role in my OIDC provider it fixed the issue.