Installation of Opensearch and Opensearch dashboards on Ubuntu 18.04

Dear Team,

Greetings and I hope you are doing well.

I am trying to install Opensearch and Opensearch dashboards on Ubuntu 18.04 but there is no installation file with Debian format. It was successfully installed using the RPM link on the Red Hat Linux without any issue but I am unable to install on Ubuntu.

Can you provide us the Debian file format of Opensearch and Opensearch dashboard-(1.3.7)?

Regards,
Faisal

Hey, thanks for the feedback! That is actually being worked on as we speak. Check out this issue for more details:

1 Like

Hi again.

When can we expect Opensearch and Opensearch-dashboards to have debian package?
Based on the link you provided and I have checked there was reply on 18th of May 2022 by the author and they are working on windows and debian package. Is there any update for that? Also, is there any alternate to install Opensearch Opensearch-dashboards on Ubuntu 18.04?

So far I have converted the RPM files to debian format to be run on Ubuntu and it was only successful for Opensearch but not for Opensearch dashboards.

If you have any suggestions, please give us an alternate way to install Opensearch dashboard on Ubuntu 18.04 OS.

At the moment it looks like its scheduled to be released with OpenSearch 2.5 which is supposed to release on 1/19. In the meantime you should be able to do a tarball installation. Important thing to note here is it will only support installing 2.5 and I believe 1.3.8 with apt as releases are not back ported.

In the meantime you could use the tarball install

Hi,

So we are using an internal application which uses Opensearch 1.3.x and other versions are not supported. When can we expect to have a debian installation package for Opensearch .1.3.x.

Also, what exactly do you mean by back ported?

Regards,

Ah my bad, what I meant by that is when it gets released it will only be available for 2.5 and then should be available in 1.3.8.

Back porting is when we go back to previous versions (2.4, 2.3, 2.2) and create a minor version with updates (normally security updates or bug fixes). We do not do this at the moment when new distributions are added.

1 Like

HI again,

Thank you for your response and everything is clear now but we need to know when can we expect the debian Opensearch installation package for version 1.3.8?

Regards,

Hello @kfaisal.jodayn - the team is tracking that in this issue on GitHub.

and overall packaging for the project is tracked here

I hope this helps

1 Like