Trying to use Signing HTTP requests to Amazon OpenSearch Service, getting below error

Versions (relevant - OpenSearch/Dashboard/Server OS/Browser):

Describe the issue:
I am trying to connect to OpenSearch service using AwsSdk2Transport to send the signed request but getting

[security_exception] authentication/authorization failure: org.opensearch.client.opensearch._types.OpenSearchException
org.opensearch.client.opensearch._types.OpenSearchException: Request failed: [security_exception] authentication/authorization failure

Configuration:

I have followed AWS SigV4 support for OpenSearch clients · OpenSearch to create the domain and set the security config.

and added role created for lambda in the opensearch access policy
I have generated the access key and security key in the credential file located in .aws folder home path.

Relevant Logs or Screenshots:
Request failed: [security_exception] authentication/authorization failure: org.opensearch.client.opensearch._types.OpenSearchException
org.opensearch.client.opensearch._types.OpenSearchException: Request failed: [security_exception] authentication/authorization failure
at org.opensearch.client.transport.aws.AwsSdk2Transport.parseResponse(AwsSdk2Transport.java:444)
at org.opensearch.client.transport.aws.AwsSdk2Transport.executeSync(AwsSdk2Transport.java:365)
at org.opensearch.client.transport.aws.AwsSdk2Transport.performRequest(AwsSdk2Transport.java:171)
at org.opensearch.client.opensearch.OpenSearchClient.info(OpenSearchClient.java:790)
at org.example.Siggned.handleRequest(Siggned.java:36)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

@vachashah @harshavamsi @xtansia or @dblock - would you have a moment to look at this for @gkSachin04? thank you

Hi @gkSachin04,

Just so I can make sure I’ve got it right:

• You’ve created a domain in AWS with “Fine grained access control” selected
  • Configured a “master” user/role for it
  • You’re now trying to access the cluster using an IAM role for a Lambda; that is different from the “master” one

My best guess at what is happening based on the error is that this isn’t an issue with the client, but rather a misconfiguration in that the Lambda’s role has not had a role mapping configured in OpenSearch itself. I’d recommend reading and following the docs on Fine-grained access control in Amazon OpenSearch Service.
Alternatively if you really do not need fine-grained access control you could switch to a domain-level access policy.

1 Like

Thanks for the update… I was able to resolve the issue.

I used the arn of the role created during its execution used to map it to master arn in the opensearch configuration.

1 Like