Snapshot Backward Compatibility for Minor Version Upgrades

Versions (relevant - OpenSearch/Dashboard/Server OS/Browser): All versions up to 1.3.15 and 2.12.0

Describe the issue:
I have an OpenSearch cluster running version 1.3.11, preparing to upgrade to version 1.3.15. The below steps are what I did:

1. Snapshot of all indices in the cluster with OpenSearch 1.3.11;

2. Upgraded the whole cluster from OpenSearch 1.3.11 to 1.3.15;

3. Snapshot with OpenSearch 1.3.15 to the same snapshot repository as step 1;

4. Restored snapshot taken in step 3 to an OpenSearch 1.3.11 cluster ā€“ Failed;

5. Restored snapshot taken in step 1 to an OpenSearch 1.3.11 cluster ā€“ Succeeded;

Although semantic versioning should ensure some sort of compatibility, I cannot restore to a new cluster in step 4.

[Question #1] Is this behavior expected? That OpenSearch does not guarantee snapshot backward compatibility between minor versions?

I cannot directly restore from newer version to older version like in step 4 but I can still manage to restore the last old-version snapshot like in step 5 in case of failed upgrade. This means the old version snapshot repository touched by a newer version cluster after upgrade like this is still restorable to an older version cluster. However, I have a concern:

[Question #2] Are older versions of OpenSearch guaranteed to be able to access a repository that has been modified by a newer version? Do I have to keep testing this behavior in future releases, and do we need another backup plan if it does not work?

I suppose, on a cluster with a single backup repository, Step 5 is the only way we can roll back to an older version in the event of failed upgrade (including unexpected breaking change). If what Iā€™m concerned about in Question #2 is not guaranteed, I plan to use a separate snapshot repository for each minor version, which would be a lot to manage.

Although the strategy like in step 5 works, all changes after the upgrade (at step 2) such as creating, updating and deleting indices will surely be lost.

[Question #3] Is there any way to roll back to the older version that includes writes performed in the new version? Does not have to be an in-place rollback, restoring to a new cluster is fine as well.

If the behavior in step 5 always works,

[Question #4] is it worth documenting in the OpenSearch official documentation?

I have logged an issue in the GitHub repository of OpenSearch with somewhat similar questions.

Thank you very much.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.