Opensearch logstash installation

Hi Team,

Can you please help me that how to install logstash ?

I downloaded “logstash-oss-with-opensearch-output-plugin-8.4.0-linux-x64.tar.gz” and extracted files.

Also can I download logstash from elasticsearch websites and use with opensearch?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi @a.emrekaraman,
i can’t help you with the question how to install and start the Logstash from OpenSearch.
I assume that you start it like the Elastic Logstash.

And you are right, you can use the Elastic Logstash but you have to install the output Plugin from OpenSearch.
The Command would look like this “/usr/share/logstash/bin/logstash-plugin install logstash-output-opensearch”

Hi vi4life,
Thanks for response. I will download elastic logstash and will install output plugin as you share.

For my first question, " Logstash OSS with OpenSearch Output Plugin" have logstash and plug in right? there is no rpm download file, that’s why I asked how to install logstash with tar.gz file which I downloaded from opensearch website. I guess no need to install tar.gz file like rpm file. I should start logstash with some commands but I didint find any guide how to start log stash if download tar.gz file.

Thanks,
Emre

You can install the elastic Logstash and just copy the systemd service file. After that you can still use the elastic Logstash or you switch to OpenSearch Logstash and start it with the same start options or with the service file from the elastic logstash

thank you vi4life. I will check that

Hi,

One more question :slight_smile: there is a 8.4 logstash output version on opensearch website. Should I install 8.4 elastic logstash to use 8.4 opensearch logstash output?

I see 7.16 version is compatible with 2.5 but for 8.x logstash version, it say “Yes, with Elastic Common Schema Setting”. What is that mean?

Thanks,

Emre