Kibana won't start

I have a new set up of ES/Kibana (7.0.1) with the opendistro plugin. Everyting works fine with ES but when I start up Kibana, I get this error message in the plugin status page: "X-Pack Security needs to be disabled for Security to work properly. Please set ‘xpack.security.enabled’ to false in your kibana.yml. So if I add that directive to my kibana.yml, restart kibana, then kibana will not even start and I get this error message:

{“type”:“log”,“@timestamp”:“2019-07-05T19:50:59Z”,“tags”:[“fatal”,“root”],“pid”:5379,“message”:“{ TypeError: Cannot read property ‘callWithRequest’ of undefined\n at getUserFn (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/x-pack/plugins/reporting/server/lib/get_user.js:11:33)\n at /usr/share/kibana/node_modules/x-pack/plugins/reporting/server/lib/once_per_server.js:30:15\n at memoized (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/lodash/index.js:7956:27)\n at authorizedUserPreRoutingFn (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/x-pack/plugins/reporting/server/lib/authorized_user_pre_routing.js:14:19)\n at /usr/share/kibana/node_modules/x-pack/plugins/reporting/server/lib/once_per_server.js:30:15\n at memoized (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/lodash/index.js:7956:27)\n at main (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/x-pack/plugins/reporting/server/routes/main.js:25:36)\n at Plugin.init [as externalInit] (/usr/share/kibana/node_modules/x-pack/plugins/reporting/index.js:177:7)\n at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:68:7)\n isBoom: true,\n isServer: true,\n data: null,\n output:\n { statusCode: 500,\n payload:\n { statusCode: 500,\n error: ‘Internal Server Error’,\n message: ‘An internal server error occurred’ },\n headers: {} },\n reformat: [Function],\n [Symbol(SavedObjectsClientErrorCode)]: ‘SavedObjectsClient/generalError’ }”}

Any thoughs?

Hi @daleatav, you’re using the “default” version of Elasticsearch rather than the open source one. The default version has many proprietary features that overlap with the ones in Open Distro for Elasticsearch. If you can try again with OSS version, I think you’ll have better luck. Instructions here: Standalone Elasticsearch Plugin Install - Open Distro Documentation

Hello @aetter and thanks for the feedback. So if I have an existing ES install of 7.0.1, I won’t be able to use the “plugin method”? The way I read this is that I would have to install the OSS version from the PPA, correct?

Hey @daleatav, it’s conceivable that you could disable any conflicting X-Pack plugins and get the Open Distro plugins installed and working on top of a default Elasticsearch installation. I’m not sure if the default installation will pass our plugin version check, but if not, maybe you can bypass it somehow.

You might be able to migrate the data directory over (it’s probably /var/lib/elasticsearch), and you can almost certainly take and restore a snapshot from the default install to the OSS install.

More broadly, given our objective of a full-featured, true open source distribution of Elasticsearch that the entire community can safely use and contribute to, we just aren’t sure how to get our plugins installed and working on the default install. It’s not something we test. It’s probably possible, but the recommended way is to migrate over to the OSS install.

Hi @aetter,I’m facing the same issue and sorry dont get it that what do u mean by default version? I’m now using 7.1.1 of es and kibaba and open distro is version 1.1.0.0.
What am I missing here?

Has anyone solved this problem? For me this is a big problem, because I need OD alerts and APM x-pack

I’m trying to get the same setup, I’ll keep you updated

Finally no major problems mixing OD Alerts and APM modules with Opendistro 1.9.x