I can't use group-by option in query alerting & preventing back-to-back alerts

Hello comm!

I’m trying to set up a Per Query Monitor and I want to create alerts with this monitor. While I was trying to set up my query, I couldn’t use the group-by field for my query.

My example data is like this:

{
  "_index": "testing-opensearch",
  "_id": "NJuDioEBkISIDB93xdmX",
  "_version": 1,
  "_score": null,
  "_source": {
    "@timestamp": "2022-06-22T08:25:00",
    "device": "computer",
    "total_count": 11,
    "status": 0
  },
  "fields": {
    "@timestamp": [
      "2022-06-22T08:25:00.000Z"
    ]
  },
  "sort": [
  ]
}

In my example data as you see there are the “device” field and “total_count” fields. I have 2 devices, a computer, and a phone I want to send an alert when these devices have over 10 “total_count”. I can alert when the total_count field is above 10 but I also want to group-by the alert by the “device” field. But when I tried that I couldn’t be able to see my device field in the group-by section.

Mappings for my data:
“device” field is “text”
“total_count” field is “long”

My 2nd question is when I created an alert it also sends alerts while the alert’s status is alerting. Since my alert works every minute this means back-to-back same alerts every minute. This is an issue for me because I don’t want to get the same alert every minute. Can I prevent this?

I found my solution for my 2nd question. I couldn’t see the “Enable Throttling” option in Alerting section. My 1st problem is still continues

What version of OpenSearch are you using? Have you updated to the latest version of OpenSearch as there may be a bug in the version you are using. @mertkaant

I’m using the latest version, the 2.0.1 version. I had another problem but like you said that’s fixed after the update

1 Like

I upgraded my OpenSearch cluster’s version to 2.1.0 from 2.0.1, but the problem with the group by option still continues. Can you help me out, please?

@mertkaant I have the same issue. Could you find a solution?

Hi @mertkaant and @getanton,

As far as I know, the terms aggregation (which is what’s being applied on the group by fields here), cannot be done on a text field directly. You’ll want to provide a keyword subfield for the text field and aggregate on that.

Here is what an example mapping would look like for device:

"device": {
  "type": "text",
  "fields": {
    "keyword": { 
      "type":  "keyword"
    }
  }
}

Then device.keyword is what you’d select in the group by section.

2 Likes

@mertkaant @getanton were you able to make it work? i have the same issue.

Hi @qreshi i have this case where group by is showing up when i am trying to create visualization on field which is keyword but nothing shows up in group by when trying to create monitor.

field showing in visualization :

any ideas?