Guiding principles for the forks of Elasticsearch and Kibana

I totally get this (I’ve been working in open source for 20+ years), but most of us folks do indeed work for companies who pay us to participate in open source projects, and as a company, we need to make hard decisions about which open source projects we pay our staff to participate in as part of their job. Sure, anyone can participate in these forks, but you’ll get more people participating who have more time to devote to the project if they are being paid to do it as part of their full time job.

Companies like to know upfront that our employees will be able to participate on a level playing field with no one company in control of the project. Or, if the project will be controlled by one company, we want to know this upfront so that we can make a decision about whether or not to devote the precious time of our employees to this project.

Let me ask another direct question. Do you have plans to donate these forks to a neutral foundation, and if so, when? Or do you plan to keep them owned by Amazon?

3 Likes