Can't remove opensearch-dashboards-plugin

I installed 2.11.1 on a debian-12.0-bookworm VM. It’s in a private environment so I want to run with security disabled. I’ve got the core opensearch up and running. I can connect to the REST api with opensearch-py and index documents:

client = OpenSearch(hosts=[host],
                    #http_auth=('admin', 'foo'),
                    use_ssl=False)

so far, so good. Now I want to get the dashboards up. I have that installed and can connect to it on localhost:5601 which redirects me to /app/login? where I get a login screen. My opensearch_dashboards.yml file looks like:

server.host: "0.0.0.0"
server.name: opensearch-dashboards
opensearch.hosts: [http://localhost:9200]

I tried to remove the security plugin, but that doesn’t seem to work, i.e. it’s still listed as an installed plugin:

$ ./bin/opensearch-dashboards-plugin remove securityDashboards
Removing securityDashboards...
Plugin removal complete
$ ./bin/opensearch-dashboards-plugin list
alertingDashboards@2.11.1.0
anomalyDetectionDashboards@2.11.1.0
customImportMapDashboards@2.11.1.0
ganttChartDashboards@2.11.1.0
indexManagementDashboards@2.11.1.0
mlCommonsDashboards@2.11.1.0
notificationsDashboards@2.11.1.0
observabilityDashboards@2.11.1.0
queryWorkbenchDashboards@2.11.1.0
reportsDashboards@2.11.1.0
searchRelevanceDashboards@2.11.1.0
securityAnalyticsDashboards@2.11.1.0
securityDashboards@2.11.1.0

I’ve made a little progress. I had initially assumed I had to run the opensearch-dashboards-plugin with sudo, but this gave the message:

OpenSearch Dashboards should not be run as root. Use --allow-root to continue.

which led me to try running it without sudo. When you do that, you get the message:

Removing securityDashboards…
Plugin removal complete

which in turn led me to believe everything had worked as it was supposed to. It really should produce better diagnostics :slight_smile: I just tried it again with sudo and --allow-root, which does indeed remove the plugin. Now I’m up to when I connect to localhost:5601, I still get redirected to /app/login? but now I get a big red banner saying:

OpenSearch Dashboards did not load properly. Check the server output for more information.

Oh, never mind. PEBKAC. After removing the plugin, I restarted opensearch instead of opensearch-dashboards :slight_smile: Its working now.

1 Like