Securityadmin.sh : which: command not found

Hi,

I’m trying to set-up OpenSearch with TLS certificates on Docker opensearchproject/opensearch:1.0.0.

My probem is when I run the securityadmin.sh script:

docker-compose exec os01 bash -c "bash plugins/opensearch-security/tools/securityadmin.sh -cd plugins/opensearch-security/securityconfig -icl -nhnv -cacert config/certificates/ca/ca.pem -cert config/certificates/ca/admin.pem -key config/certificates/ca/admin.key -h localhost"

I get the following error :

plugins/opensearch-security/tools/securityadmin.sh: line 20: which: command not found
WARNING: JAVA_HOME not set, will use

So the problem is which: command not found

Thanks for your help,

I haven’t run odfe with docker yet but can you try to enter the container and run the command?

Entering the container with docker exec -it <ID> bash and then run the command does the same.
Anyway the which command is not installed in this Docker image. This is the problem but I don’t know how to fix it.

I’ve moved to the security category.

I just set up a ODFE container.
It contains a file called securityadmin_demo.sh. Run it then your problem will be resolved.

Thanks but I’m using OpenSearch, not OpenDistro :slight_smile:

@janstack You will need to add below line to docker-compose.yml:

environment:
“JAVA_HOME=/usr/share/opensearch/jdk”

I think the docs need to be updated

2 Likes

yeah lol, I just figured it out too :grin:
After set it no need to run security for the first time since it already executed while init the container i guess

Hmm, this is what I get and this is why I need to run the securityadmin :

os02_1    | [2021-07-14T19:01:33,581][ERROR][o.o.s.c.ConfigurationLoaderSecurity7] [os02] Failure no such index [.opendistro_security] retrieving configuration for [INTERNALUSERS, ACTIONGROUPS, CONFIG, ROLES, ROLESMAPPING, TENANTS, NODESDN, WHITELIST, AUDIT] (index=.opendistro_security)
os02_1    | [2021-07-14T19:01:33,581][ERROR][o.o.s.c.ConfigurationLoaderSecurity7] [os02] Failure no such index [.opendistro_security] retrieving configuration for [INTERNALUSERS, ACTIONGROUPS, CONFIG, ROLES, ROLESMAPPING, TENANTS, NODESDN, WHITELIST, AUDIT] (index=.opendistro_security)
os01_1    | [2021-07-14T19:01:35,781][ERROR][o.o.s.a.BackendRegistry  ] [os01] Not yet initialized (you may need to run securityadmin)
os02_1    | [2021-07-14T19:01:35,793][ERROR][o.o.s.a.BackendRegistry  ] [os02] Not yet initialized (you may need to run securityadmin)
os03_1    | [2021-07-14T19:01:35,799][ERROR][o.o.s.a.BackendRegistry  ] [os03] Not yet initialized (you may need to run securityadmin)
os01_1    | [2021-07-14T19:01:35,804][ERROR][o.o.s.a.BackendRegistry  ] [os01] Not yet initialized (you may need to run securityadmin)
kibana_1  | {"type":"log","@timestamp":"2021-07-14T19:01:35Z","tags":["error","opensearch","data"],"pid":1,"message":"[ResponseError]: Response Error"}

And this is in the official documentation

is it ok right now? :smiley:

@janstack When using docker-compose, make sure to use docker-compose down -v command to remove any volumes between testing.

If this is still generating the error, could you share your docker-compose file?

Hi @Anthony, thanks. Please find it here : GitHub - flavienbwk/opensearch-docker-compose: Dockerized cluster architecture for OpenSearch with compose.

Commands to reproduce :

git clone https://github.com/flavienbwk/opensearch-docker-compose
cd opensearch-docker-compose
bash generate-certs.sh
docker-compose up -d

docker-compose exec os01 bash -c "bash plugins/opensearch-security/tools/securityadmin.sh -cd plugins/opensearch-security/securityconfig -icl -nhnv -cacert config/certificates/ca/ca.pem -cert config/certificates/ca/admin.pem -key config/certificates/ca/admin.key -h localhost"

@janstack After running docker-compose up -d
can you try to run below command:
docker exec -it opensearch-docker-compose_os03_1 bash -c “bash plugins/opensearch-security/tools/securityadmin.sh -cd plugins/opensearch-security/securityconfig -icl -nhnv -cacert config/certificates/ca/ca.pem -cert config/certificates/ca/admin.pem -key config/certificates/ca/admin.key -h localhost”

Do you get any error?

Sounds like the problem is additionally JAVA_HOME is not defined? Hence the branch with which is run in the first place?

There’s an open ticket on the OpenSearch repo for it:

Setting the env variable JAVA_HOME: /usr/share/opensearch/jdk solves the problem and is going to be fixed in 1.1.0. Thanks.

1 Like