OpenSearch Community Meeting - 2022-0830

Agenda:

• Juju & charmed operators: Open source in a hybrid & multi-cloud world - Pedro Leao da Cruz, Product Lead, Canonical
  • Product walk-through of Highlight - Jay Khatri, Founder, Highlight

Event page
Meetup page

Meeting Link

Meeting ID: 856 3904 9172
Passcode: 863809

Would you like to present? Tag @kris @dtaivpp @nateynate and we’ll work to get you added to the agenda!

Feel free to comment on this agenda before the meeting if you want to add an item or have a question.

After the meeting, we will post the chat log and any meeting notes. We welcome you to keep the conversation going here on the forum.

========
By joining the OpenSearch Community Meeting, you grant OpenSearch, and our affiliates the right to record, film, photograph, and capture your voice and image during the OpenSearch Community Meeting (the “Recordings”). You grant to us an irrevocable, nonexclusive, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free right and license to use, reproduce, modify, distribute, and translate, for any purpose, all or any part of the Recordings and Your Materials. For example, we may distribute Recordings or snippets of Recordings via our social media outlets.

Chat log:

08:07:41 From Kris Freedain to Everyone:
OpenSearchCon: https://opensearchcon.splashthat.com/
08:07:57 From Kris Freedain to Everyone:
Register now!
08:08:04 From Kris Freedain to Everyone:
Hope to see you all there
08:13:31 From Dave Lago to Everyone:
I remember those!
08:13:42 From Nate B. to Everyone:
Interesting I’ve never seen those CD’s before!
08:13:44 From Dave Lago to Everyone:
they used to give them out at uni
08:14:24 From Dave Lago to Everyone:
(this was in Spain btw)
08:31:14 From Michelle Tabirao to Everyone:
I will be with Mehdi there!
08:32:03 From Michelle Tabirao to Everyone:
tuned on my camera, I am the Michelle Pedro is referring :slight_smile:
08:32:19 From Alejandro Guida to Everyone:
I received my Ubuntu CD many years ago in Argentina, they send CDs all over the world
08:32:47 From Mark Cohen to Everyone:
Floppy Disks. I had a stack of 30-40 floppies.
08:33:51 From D Swager to Everyone:
I personally handed out 500 copies of VMware Workstation way back in 2007 at VMworld… Wonder where all those CDs are?
08:34:03 From Pedro Cruz to Everyone:
Juju | Get started with the Juju OLM
08:34:19 From Kris Freedain to Everyone:
thanks Pedro!
08:34:30 From Dave Lago to Everyone:
Thanks Pedro!
08:35:59 From Lukáš Vlček (@Aiven.io) to Everyone:
A quick question for Pedro, did you have a chance to check OpenSearch operator from Opster? Any high-level comparison from your point of view?
08:39:28 From Alejandro Guida to Everyone:
Same question here, any comparison between Opster Operator and this Charmed Operator based on Juju?
08:43:08 From Nate B. to Everyone:
Wow. Do you have to override all of the various DOM events as well to make records in OpenSearch?
08:51:39 From Kris Freedain to Everyone:
Thank you Jay!!
08:51:43 From Pedro Cruz to Everyone:
Hi Lukas and Alejandro. Yes, that’s great work and it’s always a good sign to see Helm charts in upstream communities as they usually mean people are thinking about the pains of deployment! What I like about charmed operators specifically is that (a) they just work on any cloud where Juju is bootstrapped, (b) implement relations between micro-services regardless of where they are, (c) also work on VMs and (d) Juju integrates beeeeeautifully with Ubuntu based OCI images. If I can be brutally honest, it can be a bit painful to manage day 2 operations in big clusters using Helm charts. It’s not something I enjoyed doing in the past, at least.
08:52:14 From David T (@AWS) to Everyone:
Check out Highlight here:
08:52:16 From David T (@AWS) to Everyone:
https://www.highlight.io/
08:56:36 From Lukáš Vlček (@Aiven.io) to Everyone:
Thanks, I have to drop… nice talks!
08:56:49 From Nate B. to Everyone:
Thanks Lukas!
08:57:54 From Michelle Tabirao to Everyone:
Thanks, will need to drop too.
08:58:07 From Julien EL KHIATI to Everyone:
how do you ensure users data privacy ? i guess some of your customers can’t have the name of their users to respect RGPD law and make it anonymous, but then how to you replay their sessions ?
08:59:20 From Julien EL KHIATI to Everyone:
ok got it
08:59:25 From Jay Khatri to Everyone:
Privacy - Highlight Documentation
08:59:55 From Mark Cohen to Everyone:
Thanks for organizing!

Slides:

Slide1
Slide2
Slide3
Slide4
Slide5