No option to create new data source in dashboards UI

Versions OpenSearch 2.13

Describe the issue:
I have created a domain cluster in the AWS OpenSearch console. I can access the dashboard UI through the domain and have created dashboards with sample data. I am trying to connect to S3 to get data for a dashboard; however under “Management” → “Data sources” there is no option to create a new data source.

Configuration:

I have seen this post - Can't see connect data source option - #5 by Eugene7 - that advises the user to update the opensearch_dashboards.yml; however I do not know where to find this file in the console setup (I do not have OpenSearch running locally) .

Relevant Logs or Screenshots:

Hi @mbboynto,

Have you tried opening the Data Sources settings page as an admin user?

Could you please check if your user has permission to create a data source?

For more information, please refer to the OpenSearch documentation on data source permissions:

1 Like

Hi Eugene, I met the same kind of problem though I have the permission of all_access, which said to have all cluster permission. I could see the data source page but “create” button is missing. Do I need to add some specific permissions?

@Eugene7

@TonyHuang , could you please share your opensearch_dashboards.yml ?

Hi @Eugene7 ,
I could not see opensearch_dashboards.yml since the service is set up by others. I asked about it and was told that AWS opensearch service does not offer data_source.enabled configuration option.
I only have the account and have access to the dashboard. I aim to add data from a mysql db and render a dashboard. There is also a way using api to upload data but as the db may have updates, I think creating a data source connection would be more convenient.

Hi @TonyHuang ,

What version of OpenSearch Dashboards do you use?

I tested it in my lab using the official Docker image and the out-of-the-box configuration for OpenSearch Dashboards. The ‘New data source’ option is visible.

I use v2.13.0
Yesterday I found a pagehttps://docs.amazonaws.cn/en_us/opensearch-service/latest/developerguide/direct-query-s3.html#direct-query-s3-regions saying that the direct query service is not supported in mainland China. Is it the reason why I cant see the option?