Index file encryption with security plugin opensearch 2.4.1

Versions (relevant - OpenSearch/Dashboard/Server OS/Browser):
Opensearch 2.4.1

Describe the issue:
Hi all, could someone give some hint what to do to encrypt the all index files with the security plugin. I installed it and enabled the demo configuration but it seems the index files I created are unencrypted.
I can not find anything telling how to enable this… other than it is mentioned that this version should do it…

Configuration:

Relevant Logs or Screenshots:

Hi @saxt ,

At the moment, the security plugin does not support encryption of the index files. There is a proposal On The Fly Encryption Feature Proposal · Issue #3469 · opensearch-project/OpenSearch · GitHub to implement that but at the moment using encryption at rest (encypted filesystem, …) is the best option available.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Andriy Redko

Hi @reta,

thank you for your feedback!

I have had a look into this 12 month ago and finally went for encrypting the volume…

By checking the latest version I read through the documentation of the security plugin and it says:
…Encryption protects both data at rest and in transit. At rest, encryption secures sensitive data stored in a cluster. Some examples of stored data include indexes, logs, swap files, automated snapshots, and all data in the application directory. …

Very misleading :frowning:

Thanks a lot
Sascha