General guidelines, best practices, etc. guide?

most programming languages have a style guide (how to name things, etc.). often there’s also a general best practices guide on how to write idiomatic code on said language.

while opensearch isn’t a programming language i believe a lot of these questions are still relevant.
e.g. how you name things (separate thread to focus on the actual question, this here is the more general “do we want/have something like this?”):

or how you do various things in an idiomatic way, e.g. best practices for operations, monitoring, scaling, security, etc.

i’m not aware of any such guide existing for elasticsearch/opensearch. there are some recommendations / how-tos from elastic, but they only cover parts: General recommendations | Elasticsearch Guide [7.10] | Elastic

note: i do not have the answers, i only have the questions - i’m still relatively new to all of this :wink:

1 Like

Good call out. I’ll add that database software typically does have style guides or best practices for things like naming. While it’s debatable that OpenSearch falls into the database category, I think looking at how other database software handles these questions might give guidance on how to structure something similar for OpenSearch.

2 Likes