Cross cluster replication between two k8s clusters

Hi,
we are trying to make cross-cluster replication between two AWS EKS clusters and have no idea how to do that. We tried ingress and istio but it does not work. For our purpose, it has to be some DNS to make it work. Let me know how we could configure that thing?

1 Like

Hi @msr,

I’m not sure I understand your question all the way. but perhaps you might find yourself at a starting advantage with this here: Get started - OpenSearch documentation

There’s also some CCR permissions that you have to configure, which are documented here: Replication security - OpenSearch documentation

Functionally, I don’t think it would be too different than a bare metal OpenSearch installation. You define your roles, configure your permissions, and then finally you would make an API call to /cluster/_settings/ defining a cross cluster setup, create an index, and then make an API call to the followers to tell them who their leader is.

At the network level I think you just need to make sure your EKS nodes running OS can chatter with each other over TCP on port 9300.

Hope that helps. I haven’t done it myself yet - I’m curious what your experience will be like. Please come back to let us know if you get stuck somewhere along the way.

Nate

@nateynate the instruction you’ve provided is for the cluster in the same network, but I’m talking about two different k8s clusters which are in different networks. Moreover, nodes could lose their IP’s, that is why it is not production ready. Therefore to use commands I suppose we need to use DNS or something else. For instance:

curl -XPUT -k -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -u 'admin:admin' 'https://localhost:9200/_cluster/settings?pretty' -d '
{
  "persistent": {
    "cluster": {
      "remote": {
        "my-connection-alias": {
          "seeds": ["**DNS**:9300"]
        }
      }
    }
  }
}'

We can establish a connection between ONE EKS cluster in two different namespaces, but the requirement is to make cross-cluster replication between TWO different OpenSearch clusters inside EKS clusters for providing DR and HA

Here is the issue tracking proxy mode for remote cluster connection setup: [Feature] Opensearch Replication Plugin - Proxy mode connection setup · Issue #371 · opensearch-project/cross-cluster-replication · GitHub